Friday, November 14, 2008

Backpackers and travelers

I was pondering about affordable places to stay in Kuching. A place to rest and sleep, not hotels or anything fancy but just for a pit stop at the end of the day. Especially for backpackers or travelers on a tight budget, or am looking to spend more than just 2 days and enjoy the wonderful things the city have to offer. Personally, I don't know what Kuching has to offer to travelers, but they do come and go (: and I am sure there are attractions tucked somewhere. Being a local, I have to say I would not be able to tell you anything more than what is obvious.

So as I was pondering away on a working morning, I came across one more possible lodging in Kuching. I have not heard of it but it is listed on a travelers website and hostels websites for travelers. And here I was thinking that it would be hard to find a place affordable enough to accommodate traveling travelers ;). Here are a few places I found really interesting and affordable.


Singgahsana Lodge

Singgahsana Lodge is located in the heart of the city. I personally think their decor and strategic location really is appealing for travelers coming to visit Kuching. It is just walking distance of the Kuching Waterfront, a famous tourist attraction (and the locals too) where you can take the sampan* to the other side of the river. And for the movie goers, the movie theater is just a walking distance (: aka next door. So, if you can't sleep, go and watch a midnight movie. It is also a walking distance to Main Bazaar, where there are shops selling authentic Sarawak crafts and other stuff that you might be interested in, arts and crafts, and people selling kuih lapis Sarawak*. Overall, the Singgahsana Lodge got a very high reviews from the people who have stayed there and enjoyed their hospitality. If you are interested do check out their website.



Kuching Waterfront Lodge

This is another place (which I think is very affordable) that I just came across while I was googling* for places in Kuching :D. I was surprised myself. On the website it says that "It sits in the heart of Kuching" and is located near the waterfront (well duhh! it says the waterfront lodge). The website also show you the price in different currencies, so you would not have to take out a calculator and calculate yourself :D. The reviews for it is also very appealing.


My Sarawak Travel Cafe

This one was a surprise too (ah yes I don't know they existed...but it's good to know they do :D I would definitely recommend them). I am not so sure where it is located, but it is just a walking distance from Main Bazaar, Little India (India Street), and the Waterfront.



As far as I know there are a lot more places that I could list down (and since it is late I am effin* tired :P). Some of the places that I found are:
  1. Pinnacles Lodge
  2. Brookes Terrace
  3. Cozee Hotel
  4. Berambih* Lodge
  5. Lodge 121
  6. Parkland Lodge

Of course there are others which I failed to mention (for various reasons) but these few are more than enough to get you started. Now that I have a place to stay, and my places to visit all mapped out, the only thing missing is someone to share it with :D. Enjoy your stay in Kuching!!

*sampan - boat
*kuih lapis - local delicacies that are very pretty, decorated in different styles
*googling - using Google browser to google :P
*berambih - staying over :D like sleep over
*effin - well lets just say we all know what that stands for

ciao,
A!k0

2 comments:

Erma said...

Ngaahahha!! Berambih?
Heheh.. Why not ajak that somebody to "berambih" at your place instead...

Wahh.. really dude... that's a lot of lodging u got there. Never knew they existed.. really. muahaha!

a!k0 said...

yeah dude berambih inn...i still dont know where that is :P ahaha...i wish i could but i cant...nyahahaha...

yeah theres a lot more but these were the ones tat were rated great....